Croque Monsieur (Ham and Cheese Sandwich With Truffle Mustard)
Now this is a spin on an old-fashioned ham and cheese sandwich.
It is ideal for a light lunch or early breakfast; easy to prepare and quick to impress.
Good quality ham and Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese is essential.
You will need a crusty un-sliced loaf of bread, a little stale to get the best results.
- 2 slices of crusty bread.
- 2 slices of cheese.
- 2 slices of ham.
- Truffle butter.
- Truffle Mustard.
- 1 egg yolk.
- 50 ml cream.
- Slice the bread thinly. Lay the bread flat.
- Spread some truffle butter on the slices, place the cheese on both slices, place ham on both slices,
spread with truffle mustard, press together, (as a sandwich) trim the sandwich if needed.
- Whisk together the egg and cream. Dip the sandwich into the mixture before pan frying golden brown
on both sides in a little butter.
- Cut in half and serve.
- A rocket and pear salad will balance and complement the intensity of the sandwich.